Wednesday, June 1, 2011

June is UFO Month

No, it's not what you're thinking.  I didn't suddenly get up in the middle of the night to find myself aboard some absurdly asymmetrical spacecraft.

Interestingly enough, I just realized something - it is about having space to craft.  I am firmly in the camp that abides by the "I-have-too-many-projects-to-do-so-I-can-never-die" mantra.  But it's getting ridiculous in my craft room, even for me.

Knit fabric samples/bolt ends bought to piece together.

T-shirts bought at Kohl's for a ridiculous price - like, $3 - to refashion.

Placemats for purses.  Sweaters to refashion.  And Samurai fabric.

More upholstery style fabric for purses and backpacks from a new store I just discovered.
 Don't even get me started on that one.


For those of you in my family (and for those of you who know me really well), please stop laughing.  I know I've said this before, but I really need to start working my way through all these piles of crafting/sewing/knitting STUFF I keep accumulating.  And in order to do this, I need to set goals for myself.  I work really well with deadlines, as long as they are for other people.  When I set a deadline for myself, though, I tend to think it's not as important.  So for this month of June, I've decided that it will be UFO MONTH.  The month of Un-Finished Objects.  I may not get one done every day like some of the other crafters and seamstresses I've seen in the Blog-o-sphere (see my Blogroll for some examples) - but I still plan to work every single day this month on an unfinished project, until it becomes a finished project.

It won't take care of all the piles of stuff, but it will be a step in the right direction.

A sweater for myself I started about two years ago.  One of many, many knitting UFOs.  


I have friends who are able to simply say, "You haven't worked on this/used this for so long, you just need to get rid of it."  I can't do that.  It comes from living with an incredibly thrifty mother for 18 years.  And from knowing how much money I've spent on all these cuts of fabric, bags of yarn, piles of how-to books and crafting magazines over the years, even though every single purchase was made with coupons, on sale, discount, rock-bottom pricing.

An attempt to corral some of the projects.  


I know I can do this.  The Sewing Assistant knows it, too, even if he doesn't seem that supportive:

'K, momz - I iz reddy to work, LOL!

(Can you hear the gears turning here?)

Whut I do best - HELPINGZ!




 

No comments:

Post a Comment