Thursday, June 2, 2011

The Chosen One

Got called in to work today, which is always a good thing, even when I'm not feeling 100%.  So it wasn't until after I picked up Son #2 from placement auditions this afternoon that I was finally able to start going through my stash to find a UFO to work on.  While I was doing that, I actually managed to start sorting some other things together for future projects.

The project for today/tomorrow:

Next up!

Darn.  You can't see the fabric very well due to the reflections on the plastic bag it's in.  It's an old-world type of tapestry fabric, a sample that I picked up at Joann's Fabrics.  Every so often, they'll have a clearance of their home dec samples when the manufacturers discontinue certain styles or colors.  I used to live in Ankara, Turkey, and this particular sample reminded me of some of the Turkish rugs my parents bought while we were there.  So I may not be able to sell this one when it's done - we'll just have to wait and see how it turns out.  Ah, memories.

The pattern is really easy and lends itself to a fair amount of embellishing, which is always fun.  I have a couple other purses I've made using this pattern - I'll photograph them along with the finished project and post them later.  Tomorrow.  (See, I'm trying to stay on track.)

Quite awhile ago I pre-cut a whole container of purses to sew up in batches as I got the time (see, now that thinking might actually pay off); as I was sorting through these pre-cut projects, I found this poor little relic in the pile:

Alas.  I am too small for anything other than a driver's license & a set of keys.  Or a couple of tiny dolls.

It was gifted to me by my son's piano teacher a couple of years ago, along with another purse and some sweaters to refashion.  I guess I thought I could clean it and then dye it and do something novel with it, but looking at it now, it doesn't seem that appealing to do all that work for very little.  I wouldn't carry it myself, it's much too small.  I doubt I could clean it well enough to bring it to a sale-able state, so I made a quick decision to put it into the Assistance League pile.  I keep one going at almost all times.

I don't think I could EVER get all these stains out.  I doubt dyeing would even help.  I think the lining is really cute, though.  It's only on the front flap, which doesn't give me much to work with even if I were to remove it.  Too bad.

So there you have it - one down, and one "to go."  A little progress is still progress!  Now if I can just shake this cold so I can get to work......

No comments:

Post a Comment