Friday, March 11, 2011

Happy Anniversary, Part Two

Ahhh, here we are on day 2 of the Anniversary Celebration!  Yes, I know there was a day in between the flower delivery and the dinner tonight, but I'm grateful for the lull - I needed time to get this one together for them!

My son isn't working a steady job right now.  He is concentrating on school and when he has spare time, he likes to tinker around and fix up old scooters & motorcycles to resell.  He doesn't make much at it yet, just a little here and there.  So when he approached me with an idea to have a fancy dinner here at the house to celebrate their first anniversary as a couple rather than blowing what little money he had on an expensive restaurant, I realized he'd ended up with a pretty good head on his shoulders after all!

I bought the tablecloth this afternoon at the Assistance League and borrowed the topper and the wrought iron chairs from a neighbor.  The tablecloth needed some reworking to make it fit the round table in the backyard, so I set to this task, aided by my trusty Sewing Assistant:

Let's see, maybe if we pick out the hem here.....


...and cut it right about here....


...sew them together again to make a square, and we should be good to go!
Wait - what do you mean, I need to move?

After I shook off the Sewing Assistant and finished the tablecloth, I went to Trader Joe's again and bought everything they needed for a fancy dinner:  Fettuccini Alfredo, garlic toast, sparkling blueberry juice, and cheesecake; I also picked up another small bouquet for a table arrangement. I added carrots from our garden, along with corn we already had in the freezer.  All in all, it was a fancy restaurant style dinner and dessert, and it only set him back about $20 total!  

Would have looked a whole lot better if our patio wasn't in such sad shape!  They'll be eating after sunset, so maybe they won't be able to see all the cracks & such!  If I hadn't had to run back & forth to the high school to work on drumline uniforms, I would have lit up the ficus trees with white Christmas lights - that would have made it totally awesome.  Maybe next time!

The bouquet - around $6 - and believe it or not, I bought these candle holders at a dollar store! 


My ludicrous napkin-folding skillz! Bwa-ha-ha-ha!


Sparkling blueberry "juice beverage."  LOL!!!


My son added the crystal framed photo of them from last year's prom - I thought that was a really nice touch!


Ok, so someone forgot to let them know to get dressed up for this fancy dinner.  
Well, maybe they ARE dressed up - if you look closely, you can see that they are both wearing plaid jeans......LOL!
They enjoyed the dinner very much and are now sacked out in front of the TV watching a movie.  I think it was a success!
(How do you like that $5 tablecloth?  Happy Dance!)
Got a couple of inches of the marvelous sock done yesterday and this morning - will put that in a post tomorrow, cuz I love that self-patterning yarn and it's amazing how it is mimicking Fair Isle knitting when combined with the solid color!  Right now I have to get going on black drum covers for Sunday's competition - the uniforms are black and burgundy, but our new drums are blue - you think they could have thought about that color clash a little sooner?  Like, when they were ordering the uniforms?  I mean, it's not like we haven't had the drums since the fall season or anything..... Wish me luck, I might be pulling a couple of all-nighters on this one......

No comments:

Post a Comment